Monday, January 9, 2012

South of the Border...


If you have ever seen this sign or one just like it, you know exactly what I am about to talk about.  Last night on our way home from Goldsboro we stopped at the infamous SOUTH of the BORDER off I-95 between the state lines of South Carolina & North Carolina.  

On the way up to Goldsboro we passed about 50 signs begging us to stop, and I had to listen to all of Grant's stories about all the times he had been there as a kid.   (This was the half way point between his Mom's house in Columbia and his Dad's in Goldsboro)  Me, on the other hand, had never really traveled up 95 before, but I had heard many a stories about this place, but had never experience the "REAL" deal.  Well, after all these years of experiencing South of the Border I came to discover that there really was NOTHING to miss......except for the really yummy Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream that we didn't need after sitting in the car for 6 hours.  (My diet is working out really well thus far for 2012!)  Or the fabulous nik nak shops where you can find stocking stuffers for those hard to get people in your family! Aka: fans, pop guns, shot glasses, rock star sunglasses, pom poms, hats, t-shirts, and anything you could possibly dream of.  

Nik Nak of the Day: (For the LSU vs Alabama Bowl Game Tonight)
Football Salt and Pepper Shakers!
On your new visit up I-95, you must take a visit to South of the Border because "You Never Sausage A Place!"

2 comments:

  1. Kate I love it! I have stopped many of times at SOB between trips from Jersey to Hilton Head, Florida and of course USC my entire life! It is a little creepy, right? Like the Twilight Zone! I didn't know your husband was from Goldsboro... tell him my husband is from "The County", Pamlico County that is.. from Oriental, NC, He'll know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leanne, That place is crazy! It was just funny because going to school so close, you hear so many crazy stories about people traveling by, but nobody ever stopping. Well, we did! Only for a few minutes, but it really was not as bad as I thought it would be. Now don't get me wrong...we didn't go in the crazy places and never would.

    ReplyDelete