Monday, February 20, 2012

Sad Weekend....

This weekend was very sad for my family and me...heaven took not only One Angel, but Two. :( 


On Wednesday, February 15th 2012 my Grandmother Myers passed away.  She was 85 years old, but lived a very happy and fulfilling life.  She was the mother of four children, grandmother of ten, and great grandmother of one.  


She had a LOVE for crossword puzzles, newspapers, Jeopardy, and sewing.  I remember as a child getting sweaters, hats, scarves, and blankets.  Here is a picture that I took on my iphone only a few hours before she passed away of a pillow she had given to me a few years back for Valentine's Day.  


Towards the end of her days she was starting to loose the liveliness that she shared with so many, and we all knew that her day would be coming to an end soon.  It was expected, but I don't think that death is something that anyone can fully prepare for.  
I LOVE YOU GRANDMA!


As we laid my grandmother into the ground on Saturday, February 18th 2012 we received more horrible news that my grandfather, Pal, had passed away.  He just turned 88 on February 10th.  Three weeks earlier we found out that he had pancreatic and liver cancer and would have a few months to live.  Knowing that our time with him would be short, my mother went to stay with him and my Nana to help keep him comfortable and spend what time we had left with him.  


Pal was a very kind, but strong willed person.  He had a love for Card Games, Atlanta Braves, Auburn Tigers, Outsider Art, Gardening (especially okra, tomatoes, and hot peppers), Computers, his Koi Fish pond, his two cats, stuffed olives (soaked in GIN....that I would eat as a kid), and my Nana's home cooking!  


He also had a love for Cars!  My Pal was a Formula One race car driver in the 70's as well as the owner of the Atlanta Motor Speedway.  After racing and selling the track he went on to sell cars at Baker Motor Company in Atlanta.  From the stories that my parents tell, I wish he had kept some of those cars for me to play with. :)  Below are some pictures that he shared with me back in January of his racing days...


      


Even though it was not our time for Pal to go, he knew it was his time to go when he did around midnight on Saturday evening.....I spoke to my Nana that afternoon and asked for her to tell him to please hold on until mom could make it back to his bedside so that he could pass with his entire family by his side.  He listed....my mother had just returned from Pennsylvania after my grandmother's service to be with him.  He passed a few hours later around midnight in peace and without pain.  I LOVE YOU PAL & MISS YOU!  


I will miss them both greatly, but thankful for the wonderful memories we had together!





1 comment: