Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Welcome Back Wednesday!

Now that I have come back to reality after a taking a few months off, I feel like we should start off with nothing better than food!  I am inspired by this post from one of my co-workers who brought in the most amazing FIGS yesterday, my favorite local restaurant FIG (which Grant is taking me out to next Tuesday for my Birthday Dinner), and for Grant's grandmother Nana who passed away two weeks ago who loved reading my blog and commenting back on all my food posts.  So this post is for you NANA!  We miss you. :(


At work today I got an email from the Maverick Southern Kitchen Restaurant's and there was a post about FIGS.  Thought I would share this recipe as I would like to try it something this weekend!  Speaking of this weekend, it is my birthday and tonight a bunch of friends are going out with me to celebrate.  I honestly can't wait!  Grant and I have not been out with a lot of these friends since we moved here almost 1 year ago.  SAD, but true.  I guess that is what happens when you are trying to save up for a house as well as other things....you tend to loose touch of reality.  


I am glad to be back into the Blogging Word, but it was a much needed break!
ENJOY & Happy Wednesday :)

According to Science Magazine, nine partially fossilized figs dated between 9400 B.C. and 9200 B.C. were found in the Jordan Valley. The Bible mentions figs, and the Romans and Ancient Greeks ate them. Figs are also one of the highest plant sources of calcium and fiber. This week, High Cotton's Executive Chef Palma shares his recipe using this nutritious, delicious and ancient treat!
fig-wasp-3
(400x298).jpg

Local Honey Fig, Pecan, Cabbage Slaw with preserved Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
Serves 4
Ingredients:
Slaw
8 SC honey or brown turkey figs, halved
1 head of SC cabbage, sliced thinly
1c SC pecans, toasted then coarsely crushed
Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
2 preserved meyer lemons, rinsed, blanched, and minced
3 shallots, minced
2 tbsp SC honey
½ tsp dijon mustard
2 c Olive Oil
¾ c apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp black pepper
Salt to taste 

Directions: Mix the shallots, preserved lemon, mustard, and apple cider vinegar in a bowl and allow to set and macerate for 10 minutes. Add the honey and gently emulsify the oil into the dressing base. Toss the cabbage and pecans together with the vinaigrette and put into the bowl. Separately, gently toss the figs with the vinaigrette, then arrange on top of and around the slaw. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back and I can't wait for tonight either! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! See you tonight for margaritas, guac, and comedy!

      Delete